Sunday, April 20, 2008

Low tides but wicked rides

Saturdays race greeted us 17-24 sse winds (bom observations) which meant flat water and fast rides.

Once again we were all late to the start so Phil's call out "Lets go" was our official over the line. Dave as usual was off and away up wind stopping occasionally after a tack to see what we were all up to before shooting off again. He is the only guy that I know that would stand in a lions cage and wave a steak in front of its nose because he knows that he can get out of the cage quick enough) One day you'll trip Dave ;-)

Rounding the top mark all race was interesting, with full cunno and bugger all vang one second is spent winding rudder suck to stop the nose dive and in an instant diving to the front of the wind bar winding the opposite direction and praying quietly.

The rides down wind were awesome some of the best I have had on a moth. I have never been scared on the moth. After a broken back, numerous broken ribs, amnesia and endless sprains after 100Kmh+ falls with water skiing I didn't think that the boat could hurt me, I was wrong.

On my way to the bottom mark I was hit by a gust and as I bore away the rudder let go and I was flung clean off the side of the boat and I was well and truly winded.

The race sore three capsizes in total but the wild rides made up for it.

The last lap was the windiest and I learned alot as I would usually pik out of these conditions, i'm glad I didn't.

Dave won the race, I came second with Phil 3rd after breaking his vang.

Luka pulled out with a push rod letting go and Donosan retired when his stay removed itself from the spreaders.

Bruce was happy with his latest set up and retired early not wanting to risk injury to his boat.

Many thanks to the McLeod Family for hosting an end of year BBQ at their new home.

Next week is our last race on Friday Anzac Day, In fancy dress. So come down for a laugh.

Grant

No comments: