Saturday, April 12, 2008

The end of the North Easterly winds

After a delayed start we got over the start line on a fleet scratch start.

I opted for the pin end start with two 16's and two skates staying in clear wind away from the rest of the fleet.

We started in an easterly breeze no more than 6-7knt's not quit enough to stay up.

Luka, Phil and Bruce were amid the fleet at the boat end with Dave coming down only to pick his tool box as he is in the process of moving house. Congrates Mate hope it brings years of happiness.

Luka and I both tacked onto port with Phil and Bruce staying on Starboard.

On Tacking onto starboard and Luka retired from the race with a damaged push rod linkage to a new highly experimental centreboard.

Phil by now was well ahead as he is proving to be the king of low riding. But a gust came through and I managed to foil to the top mark. I did not over take Phil but made alot of ground on him.

As I rounded the mark the breeze died off and we were back running square, once again Phil opening up a lead staying uncoupled I did not as trying to re-couple has put me in the piss alot.

At the bottom mark breeze returned and I caught up to Phil by the top Mark again with the breeze leaving us. The smart thing to do would have been to un-couple and try to stay with Phil but I tried to get onto the foils to make ground down wind with no luck the wind had died off so I retired from the race. No spits of the dummy, just laziness.

Well done to the Bert Newton of low riding (Phil) who just loves 0-5knt forecasts, and for good reason.

I am allot happier with the boat a few small tweaks sore me up and foiling in light wind that I usually would not foil in.

Thanks for reading,
Grant

No comments: